Letter to Rector Nust

Posted: Sunday 8 February 2015 by Hellllbender in Labels: , , , , , , , , ,
1



If NUST gave as much value to its principles as it does to its principals, it could actually be a half decent university. In an ideal world, that is what would happen. Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. The following is one such example from back when I was applying for my degree and transcripts. This email was sent to Rector Nust:

Dear Sir,

The following are some facts:

I completed my degree of Electrical Engineering from SEECS in June 2014. On 25th August 2014, I applied for my degree and transcripts (to be delivered by post). The official time mentioned for the preparation of transcripts is minimum 14 days for normal fee (Rs 500) and 7 days for urgent fee (Rs 1000). I therefore deposited Rs 1000 to have my transcripts prepared on an urgent basis because I had already been successful in securing employment in a major group of companies of the country, pending the submission of my original transcripts. My soon-to-be employers in Lahore asked me how long would it take me to submit my transcripts and I told them 2 weeks. Do you know why I lied? It was because I have had the unpleasant experience of getting the transcripts made for my graduating friends in the past. Never have I seen the NUST authorities honor their word regarding the deadlines in the case of transcripts. Therefore the date I gave my employers was 7 days LATER than what NUST promised me. I was under the impression that perhaps as usual, the delay caused would be merely twice as long as the promised time period. I was mistaken.

Yesterday, I called Col Anwar, Deputy Controller Exams in SEECS (051-90852007), inquiring about the status of my transcripts. He told me it was the job of the exams branch and told me to call on 051-90852035. I called on the given number and was informed that my transcripts had yet not been prepared and handed over to SEECS and that I should call on 051-90851058 and ask Mr. Tahir about them. I called on the given number repeatedly but no one picked up the entire day.

Today, I tried my luck again. Again no one picked up when I dialed 051-90851058 so I decided to contact the exams branch of SEECS once again (051-90852035). The person attending told me to call on 051-90852031, which I did. Here I was again told that my transcripts were not yet prepared and that SEECS was still waiting for them. I told my story to the person at the other end of the line and he expressed his helplessness regarding the situation. I told him I was in Lahore and that no one was picking up when I dialed Mr Tahir’s number (051-90851058) and that I had absolutely no way to check why my transcripts had been promised within 7 days but not completed even after 18 days. I requested him to inquire into the matter. But the person at the other end excused himself saying: “Agar wo apki call naheen utha rahay tow hamari kaisay uthaengay?” These exact words were spoken by a person from the official staff of NUST and I hope they give you a good idea of why I have been pessimistic about the situation from the beginning. I was then told to call 051-90851056 (which no one picked) and 051-90851055 which apparently belongs to some Col Khalid (again, the phone was not picked). I repeatedly called on all these numbers but to no avail. In this way, yet another day has been wasted while I wait for NUST to give me what it owes me.

The following are some queries:

Sir, it does not befit the Rector of NUST to be involved in a matter as trivial as the issue of a delayed transcript and I do not wish to bother you in this regard. Whatever impression of NUST my employers are getting due to this delay is also no concern of mine. I request only that the following questions which I have in my mind, be answered if at all possible:

  1. If there has been some extraordinary or supernatural problem with my transcripts, why have I not been informed to expect a delay?
  2. Since NUST has not honored its word regarding the time period for the preparation of the transcripts on an urgent basis and has thereby killed the whole point of submitting extra money for the urgent preparation, will NUST reimburse me Rs 500, on a matter of principle?
  3. I am an only child, only my parents reside in my home currently (since I am in Lahore waiting to begin my employment once the transcripts arrive). Since no one is responding to me nor have my transcripts been prepared yet, if I travel to Islamabad to pay a visit to NUST (due to no fault of my own), will I be reimbursed the travel money, on a matter of principle?
  4. Finally, if I decide not to embark on a round trip of around 800km and instead request my aged father to pay a visit to NUST, do I have any sort of assurance that he will not endure the incompetent and frustrating behavior by NUST authorities which will cause physical and mental torment to a 70 year old man?
I write to you when all others have failed me. My transcripts are not significant at this point. I would however, with all due respect, be greatly obliged if my inquisitive mind can be satisfied with answers to the above questions.

Regards from a curious NUSTian,
Zain-Ul-Abideen Shah


_____________________


The next day I received a call from the office of the rector. Col Mohsin I believe, told me that my transcripts were ready along with my degree. Enough said.


Written by: Zain Shah

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    Completely incompetent attitude, I've on numerous occasion faced humiliation from these men herein called as officials, on matters such as 'lending' my original certificates for two days. They treat us as if we are studying on their khairat and not on over one lac per semester (add income tax 5% as well).